Sunday, October 25, 2009

I forgot the breadcrumbs

Hansel said to Gretel, "drop these breadcrumbs so that together we can find our way home because losing our way would be the most cruel of things". I lost my way.

Do you ever have the feeling there is something that you are supposed to be doing? Not in an “oh crap, I forgot to do that kind of way", but instead in a "there’s something out there that is uniquely for me to do" kind of way. Sort of like a calling, or a destiny, or something.

Does it ever drive you nuts because you don’t know what it is? Or, maybe it's just that you do know what it is but there are circumstances surrounding it that are keeping your from it. Are circumstances considered excuses? Or, are they just that ... circumstances? I'm still trying to figure that out, thinking about it alot lately. It led me to ask myself, when making important life changing decisions, should I use my head or go with what my heart says ... or both? I've made bad choices before using both, so whose to know. You never learn the outcome until later.

Why is it that our heads and our hearts have to have such crappy contrasting opinions? Why can they not just learn to get along and come to a mutual decision?! It’s so hard to decide what you want to choose…and it just gets even worse when things are complicated by different parts of you, pulling you in different directions.

Life is all about achieving your dreams…or at least trying to get somewhere close to them. I believe that everybody has dreams, even those that are looked down upon by the majority of society…maybe due to their ethnic origin, background or even financial status. With me, it's circumstances that I don't have the power to change. It's like I have to wait them out. But again, it goes back to me possibly using these circumstances as excuses. Everyone has dreams, and everyone deserves the right to try and achieve them. Whilst our heads are good at solving problems, I think I truly believe that the way to achieving your dreams is by following your heart. Maybe it's by using a combination of both.

So, I guess once you "lose yourself or lose your way", you have two choices. Find the person you used to be and get back to your dreams, or, lose that person completely. Because sometimes you have to step outside of the person you’ve been and remember the person you were meant to be. The person you wanted to be. The person you are.

George Bernard Shaw once wrote "There are two tragedies in life. One is to lose your hearts desire; the other is to gain it."

I like the second =)

No comments: